SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Thursday, February 02, 2017

LOVELY VERA LYNN SOON TO CELEBRATE HER 100TH BIRTHDAY

How lovely to hear on BBC Radio 4 this morning that Dame Vera Lynn will soon be celebrating her 100th birthday.  I was thrilled as she is one of my 'top personalities' in my latest book BARKING & DAGENHAM FROM OLD PHOTOGRAPHS. I was so grateful to her in allowing me to  use this photograph in my book.

Known as the “Forces’ Sweetheart during World War II, she has been singing and lifting people's spirits both then (and ever since) for more than 75 years, and soon she will release her new album. Vera will mark her birthday with a re-orchestrated versions of her most famous music alongside original vocals.
Vera said: “It’s truly humbling that people still enjoy these songs from so many years ago, reliving the emotions of that time. I was, after all, just doing my job as a singer. It's so wonderful for me to hear my songs again so beautifully presented in a completely new way.”
Our star will  also celebrate her birthday with a charity concert showcasing some of the best of British talent at the London Palladium. Taking place on 18 March, the one-off spectacular will raise funds for her children’s charity and features Armstrong and singers Blake and Hayley Westenra.
She has previously described the prospect of reaching her century as “an incredible adventure of song, dance, and friendship”.  We think she's brilliant. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home